12 June 2012

Top This (A Travesty in Two Acts)


                                                                                                                                                        ACT I
Scene 1


SETTING
Place: Hawk Channel, Florida Keys
Time: Early Sunday afternoon

Cap'n Jane and her trusty XO, Ean, are approaching Looe Key Reef where they plan to pick up a mooring ball for a couple of hours so Jane can put on her snorkeling gear and try out her new
underwater camera.


Cap'n Jane
OK, Let's put the sails down.


XO Ean
WTF!


Cap'n Jane
What's wrong?


XO Ean
The topping lift just came undone!
(They both look aloft.)

Cap'n Jane
Oh, yeah, there it is.  I see it.  Good thing you stopped winching when you did.  We'll deal with that tomorrow.  OK, I'm into the wind.  Drop the main.  

ACTII
Scene 1

SETTING
Place: an anchorage off Summerland Key
Time: late morning, two days later
Cap'n Jane is nearing the top of the mast looking for the topping lift, XO Ean is on deck grinding the winch. 


XO Ean
(Panting) How much further?



Cap'n Jane
About eight feet.



XO Ean
(Gasping for breath) Aaaaahhhhhh!  OK, I'm....just.....gonna take...a...little break.



Cap'n Jane
Just imagine if I were trying to winch you up.


XO Ean
I'd be captain by now.


Cap'n Jane
You're only captain in the event that I go overboard.  Check your Facebook page if you don't believe me.


XO Ean
Yeah...what'd'ya think...'ll...happen right after...you die...of a...heart attack?



Cap'n Jane
OK, that's it.  Bring me down.


XO Ean
Are you done up there?


Cap'n Jane
No.


XO Ean
Then no.


Cap'n Jane
Hate you. (pause)
Well, I can't use the messenger, I  can't get it out of it's hole, I can't put it in the right hole.  This is hopeless.  Do you have the camera handy-by?


XO Ean
National Non Sequitur Association.  We may not make sense, but we do like pizza. (pause)  No, Why?


Cap'n Jane
Do you see this thing in my hand?


XO Ean
Yes, it's our windex.  Why are you holding it?


Cap'n Jane
So you can take a picture.


XO Ean
A picture of what?


Cap'n Jane
Of it being in my hand.


XO Ean
Are you getting enough oxygen up there?


Cap'n Jane
I just want photographic evidence that this wasn't attached properly...like, at all.


XO Ean
Ah, OK, got it--no, wait--the boat moved.  OK...doh!  moved again.  One more time...damn!  This whole craft is moving.  Hold still.  OK, got it.  Can you reattach it?


Cap'n Jane
Sure, Until we get a 25 knot or better breeze.


XO  Ean
(After bringing Cap'n Jane back down.)  Well, that's a relief.  



Cap'n Jane
What's a relief?


XO Ean
The topping lift and the windex, that's two things broken today already and it's not even two o'clock. One more and we're done for the day.  I'll make lunch.




Scene 2

Back inside the boat.  Cap'n Jane is by the door; XO Ean is in the galley.



XO Ean
Hon, don't worry.  We'll find someone to fix the topping lift and the windex.  Maybe we can get SALT to meet us in Key West. 

(pause)

That's weird.  I can't get the oven to work.  The stove works, but it's like there's no propane getting to the oven.



THE END

1 comment:

  1. Topping lift did not BREAK - it became UNTIED. And the windex did not BREAK - it became UNATTACHED. The oven, I don't know about.

    ReplyDelete